Stromectol generic is a more affordable version of the popular anthelmintic drug. It contains the same active substance ― Ivermectin. As a result, it works identically to original pills.
How to Use
This drug is applied for removing helminths and other parasites from the body. This product kills parasites by paralyzing them ― it blocks their muscle and nervous functions.
Namely, Ivermectin for humans in the form of oral tablets is used against these types of parasites:
- lymphatic filariasis;
As for Ivermectin cream, it is recommended against:
- head lice;
Besides, this drug is widely used in veterinary medicine. Ivermectin for dogs and some other animals is recommended in case of heartworm and acariasis infections. Also, it is considered to be an effective preventive means. At the same time, one should warn that this medication can be highly toxic to certain breeds and classes. So, it must be applied on the recommendation of a veterinary doctor only.
Sure, in this article, we will focus on the use of this product for human patients.
How to Use Ivermectin for Humans
Ivermectin is available on prescription only. So, if a patient notices any symptoms of a parasite infection, he should consult his doctor in the first place.
Ivermectin dosage for humans is determined by a medical specialist taking into account the age and weight of a patient, his health state, and the severity of an invasion.
In the market, one can find Ivermectin 3 mg and 6 mg. One should buy exactly the dosage indicated in the prescription. One should never try to split tablets as it is impossible to get a precise dose in such a way.
As a rule, one intake is enough to overcome the infection. A single dose may include 1–6 pills. Still, in rare cases, one has to take the medicine for a few days. Also, patients suffering from onchocerciasis usually must undergo the treatment for the second time 6–12 months after the first course to fully get rid of these parasites.
Speaking about general recommendations, if a patient wants to get the maximum effect, he should take this drug on an empty stomach ― at least 1 hour prior to any meal. Besides, to stimulate its dissolution, it is important to follow this medication with a full glass of water.
Brand Stromectol vs Generic Ivermectin
If you are concerned about the Ivermectin cost, the best solution for you is to choose a generic version. It includes the same active ingredient in the same dose and is equally effective against all the types of parasites mentioned above. The scheme of use is the same as well. Yet, since generic manufacturers do not invest in research and marketing, they offer much more affordable prices. That is a great chance for patients to reduce their drug expenses.
Contraindications and Warnings
- It is not known whether this medication is safe for pregnant women. But it can be used during the breastfeeding period on the recommendation of a doctor. Sure, a patient should inform her doctor about these conditions.
- It is not used in children who are under 15 kg.
- When discussing the use of this medication with a doctor, a patient should warn a specialist if he is allergic to any medicines, dietary supplements, foods, or inactive additives used in products or medications.
- Certainly, a patient should inform his doctor about his entire medical history, especially if he has any problems with the liver.
- In some cases, this drug cannot be used repeatedly.
- There is a risk of drug interactions that is why a patient should tell his doctor if he is using any other medications, dietary supplements, or herbal products.
- One should not use this medicine together with cannabis unless that is permitted by one’s doctor. The point is that this medication can provoke dizziness, sleepiness, or severe fatigue. And that effect can be intensified by marijuana.
- For the same reason, it is strictly advisable to refrain from using any dangerous tools or mechanisms, as well as from driving, cycling, and riding bikes (at least until a patient checks how this medication affects his organism).
First of all, one must note that this medication is prescribed only when there are clear indications. Certainly, like any other drug, this one can cause adverse reactions. However, the benefits, which it provides to the health, overweigh those risks. One should keep in mind that parasite infections can lead to severe toxic reactions and even life-endangering conditions.
So, after taking Ivermectin tablets for humans, a patient may experience headaches, dizziness, fatigue, sleepiness, fever, skin reactions, varied digestive disorders (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), as well as pains in the joints and leg swelling. Besides, when used to treat eye infections, it can cause itching, redness, swelling, or pain in the eyes, as well as sight changes. However, all these reactions are temporary.
In addition, one should keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the side effects mentioned are caused by parasites themselves rather than by the medicine. Obviously, the more severe the invasion, the higher the risk of hard side effects. When dying, helminths and insects cause heavy toxic reactions. That is inevitable if one wants to get rid of them. Besides, some people are just more sensitive to the active substance of the medication.