Aquinox Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a late clinical-stage pharmaceutical company discovering and developing targeted therapeutics in disease areas of inflammation and immuno-oncology. Our primary focus is anti-inflammatory product candidates targeting SH2-containing inositol-5′-phosphatase 1, or SHIP1, which is a key regulator of an important cellular signaling pathway in immune cells, known as the PI3K pathway. Our lead product candidate, AQX-1125, is a small molecule activator of SHIP1 suitable for oral, once daily dosing. Having successfully completed multiple preclinical studies and seven clinical trials with AQX-1125, we are now in a Phase 3 program with our lead indication of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome (IC/BPS). Other indications are under consideration for future investigation. Aquinox has a broad intellectual property portfolio and pipeline of preclinical drug candidates that activate SHIP1.
We are a focused team, achieving our goals through our values based culture. Our people are highly results-oriented, proactive and collaborative.
Aquinox is publicly traded on NASDAQ and has offices in Vancouver, BC, Canada and in San Bruno, CA, USA.
The Location of Position:
The Scientist, Translational Biology position will be located in our Vancouver, BC, office.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Translational Biology, the Scientist will be involved with leading activities around the biology and pharmacology of current and new lead candidates.
Specifically, the Scientist will:
- Independently develop, design, troubleshoot and implement:
- In vitro and in vivo studies
- New models to support project advancement as necessary
- Will assist in model selection and evaluation, benchmarking and standardization of models and design of PK/PD studies
- Integrate and interpret available biological data, in collaboration with the Medicinal Chemistry team for design of new molecules
- Work with scientists’ cross-functionally to ensure high scientific quality of all in vivo and in vitro studies
- Identify CROs or other collaborators that could enable models or apply novel expertise in support of program advancement
- Collaborate, monitor and report on CRO-based studies
- Write and review reports and assist in the generation of materials for publication
What you bring:
- PhD degree in immunology, oncology, neurobiology or related field; 2+ years of experience in biotechnology specifically related to in vitro and in vivo studies strongly preferred
- Be self-driven and able to contribute significantly on hypothesis, experimental design, interpreting primary pharmacological data, providing input, communicating results and report writing
- Manage external relations with CROs to achieve objectives
- Develop alternatives and solutions for a range of complex scientific problems. Solutions require creativity, critical thinking and collaboration, considering a broad range of potential impacts
- Excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with internal and external partners in a matrix environment
- Attention to detail and strong documentation experience is required
- Ability to work well with a wide range of functional groups and ability to work independently
Interested candidates are invited to forward their resume and cover letter to email@example.com, indicating why you feel you are a fit for the Scientist, Translational Biology role at Aquinox Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.